Unclassified Staff Advisory Council

MINUTES

September 09, 2010
9:00 - 10:30 am

104 Biological Science

A. Welcome by Jacqui Neal and Introductions

IN ATTENDANCE

Chris Wydman, Jacqueline Neal, Wendy Riddell, Brandy Foster, Jacqueline Robinson, Melissa Vanzant, David Finnie, Jason Kohlhepp, Calvin Robinson, Nancy Pestian, Kiel Rottgen, Jamie Norris, Mary Healea, Curt Pederson, Jen McCamis, Colleen Hayden, David Bringhurst, John Holm, Jerry Hensley, Megan Watson, Marian Hogue

The meeting was called to order by Jacqui Neal, USAC Chair at 9:03 a.m.

 

B. Approval of Minutes for August 12, 2010 meeting.

The minutes were approved as presented.

C. USAC Subcommitee Reports

1. Community Service - Susan Wehmeyer, Jen McCamis, Jacqui Neal, Curt Pederson: Jen McCamis was elected as the spokesperson; group has not met yet, but have some ideas for a project for the year – Student Food Bank; Proposal from Staff Council for community service across campus is currently being designed and reviewed

2. Compensation, Benefits, & Equity - Jacqueline Robinson, David Bringhurst, Denise Anderson, Kiel Rottgen, Jason Kohlhepp, Jerry Hensley, Mary Healea: Spokesperson has not been elected yet; Next meeting Thursday, Sept 16 – going to elect new chair; David Bringhurst (along with Jacqui Neal and Curt Pederson) recently had a meeting with Dr. Henry Limouze regarding USAC issues and representation.  Dr. Limouze suggested that CBES begin drafting a document representing concerns and possible suggestions for review.  CBES will continue working on this document and present it to USAC members for approval within the next month; Issue with the Health Savings account – Human Resources is currently looking  at the contract with 5/3 about the fee that everyone pays – looks like University will pay for the fee (waived until the end of the year); however, it is possible 5/3 will require this annual fee again next year.  It was suggested that Wright-Patt is looking to be one of the key players for the next contract since it’s on an annual basis; Documents from Staff Council – rehiring the ‘early retirees’ policy – were circulated among members for review; One item of concern was the need for Human Resources to discuss the differences between all 3 health plans – looking at the fine print with all of them and making sure that everyone understands.  This agenda item will be brought to the Staff Council / Human Resources Subcommittee meeting in October

3. Newsletter / Marketing - Jamie Norris, Wendy Riddell, Kary Brigger: Second newsletter will go out after the October meeting

4. Nominations / Fundraising - Brandy Foster, Jen McCamis, Denise Anderson, Kiel Rottgen, Chris Wydman: Still have the water bottles, but we are looking for other ideas for fundraising; Ideas suggested included a 5K run in the Spring time (which could become an annual event)–and -Mailing labels for alumni (could be a cheaper way to promote WSU); Brandy is going to call Printing services to find out about pricing

 

D. University Committee Reports

1. Athletic Council - Calvin Robinson, David Finnie: No report; first meeting is on September 24th.

2. University Diversity Advocacy Council - Megan Watson: No report

3. Parking Services - John Holm, Colleen Hayden: No report; waiting to hear about first meeting

4. Semester Conversion - Chris Wydman: Open meeting last month for faculty and staff to provide an update on the progress-well attended; Everything will start gearing up now that fall quarter has begun – will have another open forum soon – semester session was suggested as a possibility for the next Staff Development day – Nov 30.

5. Sustainability - Karen Strider-Iiames: No report – only meet once a quarter

6. University Dining Services - Melissa Vanzant: No report; first meeting will be Oct. 21

7. Wellness and Recreation - Craig This, Marian Hogue: Craig attended the wellness meeting which was held at the same time of the USAC meeting.  Currently, both committees are scheduled to meet at the same time (which is being reviewed) .  In the meantime, Craig and Marian are going to swap going to USAC and Wellness meetings; first report will be at the next meeting

8. WSU Bookstore - Mary Healea: No report; first meeting Oct 12

9. WSU Staff Council - Jacqueline Neal, Mary Healea, Kary Brigger, Curt Pederson, David Bringhurst: Curt will be spokesperson; July meeting was a special meeting to welcome Dr. Limouze – talked about BSOM faculty/staff  not getting a raise – did get an apology from admin that staff council was not in the loop about what was going on – more communication between admin – staff council- Sept 22 next meeting; Colleen will be the BSOM rep on USAC as well

10. WSU Human Resources Committee - Jacqueline Neal, Nancy Pestian, Curt Pederson, David Bringhurst: No report; Oct 12 is the first meeting for the year

11. OSCHE - Curt Pederson: Curt went to meeting in June; historically been a lot of involvement with USAC – OSCHE membership is open to universities/colleges that do not have a union  - unclassified and classified staff were both present – good information exchanged; Summer meeting is a 2 day meeting, usually a 1 day meeting – other universities expressed that WSU is a fortunate university – next meeting is here on Oct 29

12. Lake Campus - Gretchen Rentz, Liane Muhlenkamp: Could not attend this meeting; No report

 

E. Other Business

1. General Announcements: Wright Path Rites of Passage Ceremony:  Calvin attended and said it was nice; Freshman Convocation:  Nancy attended and said it was great watching all the freshmen walking in their green – Marian thought the featured speaker (author of the Common Text book for 2010) was the best speaker we’ve ever had for convocation-outstanding – Some members wondered if the Nutter Center was the best place to have convocation – why not the Apollo room? – speaker was web streamed

2. OSCHE Day at WSU: Friday, Oct. 29th – all day meeting will start at 9 – breakfast will be served – held in 156 Student Union

3. Oct. Meeting - Special Guest, Dr. Henry Limouze

4. OD&L Survey & Comments – Survey Report

5. Update on brown bag "Town Hall" luncheon – Sept 29 from 11:30-1:30 in E157 Student Union – all USAC members were asked to invite 2 – 3 unclassified staff members who are unfamiliar with USAC – talk about ideas for future – create a flyer to put on WINGS – to promote the brown bag – raffle ticket to give out the water bottles

 

F. Additional Topics

1. Silvia Brockman will be replacing Sharon Shaw as the Compensation Manager of Human Resources

2. State of the University address will be next week – RSVP if you are interested

3. Sept 23 – is the President Awards for Excellence – 1pm Apollo room

4. Health insurance coverage for the older dependents – Sept 23 will be the date for the enrollment again – ohio.gov stated this date

5. One council member was asked to bring up to the committee about the idea of putting tv’s in the hangar and union market – students are asking if they can get these put in – just words scrolling across the bottom – just news…maybe for announcements? – who would pay for this?  CaTS administers the tvs in the tunnels – dining services would approach CaTS most likely to do this…survey is going out

6. Another member brought up the idea of including tables by the hangar – and campus maps outside

7. Mobile mammography bus did not come last year- not planning on coming this year either –wonder if we can get this back – April 1 – not a good date to send out an email about this

 

The meeting was adjourned by Jacqui Neal, USAC Chair, at 9:54 a.m.

The next meeting is in 264 Brehm Lab (BL) on Thursday, October 14th @ 9:00 a.m. NOTE:  all future USAC meetings will be held in room 264 BL to accommodate the increase in attendance

 

3640 Colonel Glenn Highway - Dayton, Ohio - 45435
Copyright Information © 2006 | Accessibility Information
Last updated: Wed. Sep-15-10, 10:45
Please send comments to: robert.boley@wright.edu
Wright State University