August 12, 2010
9:00 - 10:00 am
339 Fawcett Hall
Wendy Riddell, Jacqui Neal, Kary
Brigger, David Bringhurst, Nancy Pestian, Mary Healea, Curt Pederson, Denise Anderson, Jacqueline Robinson, Jamie Norris, Susan Wehmeyer, Brandy Foster, Jason Kohlhepp, Gretchen Rentz
A. Call Meeting to Order
The meeting was called to order by Jacqui Neal, USAC Chair at
B. Review of USAC Charter and Mission
USAC wants to be more informed and communicate more openly with staff. Four new subcommittees were proposed last year and council members will be working on finalizing the mission, membership and responsibilities for each. It was stressed that, to maintain continuity, each subcommittee should consist of one USAC Council member from each elected year. Once finalized, this information will be posted on the USAC website.
C. USAC Subcommittee Overview
The following committee members agreed to serve on each subcommittee.
1. Community Service: Susan Wehmeyer (term ends 2013), Jennifer McCamis (term ends 2012), Jacqui Neal (term ends 2012), Curt Pederson (term ends 2011)
2. Compensation, Benefits, and Equity: Jacqueline Robinson (term ends 2013), David Bringhurst (term ends 2012), Denis Anderson (term ends 2011), Kiel Rottgen (term ends 2011), Jason Kohlhepp (At-Large), Jerry Hensley (At-Large), Mary Healea (Unclassified Hourly Rep)
3. Newsletter/Marketing (it was suggested that USAC secretary always be on this): Jamie Norris (term ends 2013), Wendy Riddell (term ends 2012), Kary Brigger (USAC Secretary, term ends 2011)
4. Nominations/Fundraising – Brandy Foster (term ends 2013), Jennifer McCamis (term ends 2012), Denise Anderson (term ends 2011), Kiel Rottgen (term ends 2011), Chris Wydman (At-Large)
'At-large' definition - may not have to be a member of USAC
D. WSU Committees review– Council members approved six new representatives: Calvin Robinson, Jr., David Finnie, Marian Hogue, Colleen Hayden, Gretchen Rentz and Liane Muhlenkamp. Representatives for each committee are listed below:
1. Athletic Council: Calvin Robinson, Jr. (term ends 2011); David Finnie (term ends 2012)
2. Diversity Advocacy Council: Megan Watson (term ends 2011)
3. Parking Services: John Holm (term ends 2011); Colleen Hayden (term ends 2012)
4. Dining Services: Melissa Vanzant (term ends 2011)
5. Semester Conversion Committee: Chris Wydman (term ends 2012)
6. Sustainability: Karen Strider Iiames (term ends 2011)
7. Lake Campus: Gretchen Rentz, Liane Muhlenkamp
8. Wellness and Recreation: Craig This (term ends 2011), Marian Hogue (term ends 2012)
9. WSU Bookstore: Mary Healea (term ends 2011)
10. WSU Staff Council: Curt Pederson, Jacqui Neal, David Bringhurst, Kary Brigger, Mary Healea
11. WSU Human Resources Committee: Curt Pederson, Jacqui Neal, David Bringhurst, Nancy Pestian
12. OSCHE: Curt Pederson
13. Board of Trustees: Curt Pederson, Jacqui Neal, David Bringhurst
It was proposed to link all committee websites and annual schedules on the USAC website
E. Other Business
1. Change of Leadership: New Associate Provost (Dr Henry Limouze); has been invited to attend October meeting for introductions and discussion
2. Review of USAC brochure: Updated with new membership and leadership. Brochures will be printed and included in New Employee packets
3. New Role & Responsibility for Staff Development Day: Jacqui Neal, Curt Pederson and Mary Healea discussed the shift in responsibilities from OD&L to USAC and CSAC. Members of USAC and CSAC have been given guidelines by Fran Keeley to help schedule the winter event which is scheduled for Tuesday, November 30, 2010. Themes are currently being discussed; however, it has been proposed that a theme related to Community Service be considered.
4. Lake Campus represenatation: USAC welcomed Gretchen Rentz to the meeting. Along with Liane Muhlenkamp, she will be serving as the Lake campus representative to USAC. The goal is to open the lines of communication between our staff and the Lake Campus staff. Gretchen gave a brief overview of their Staff Council agenda and meeting schedule.
5. Representatives from BSOM and soft money: Council members discussed the importance of reaching out to all members of unclassified staff, with particular interest to those employed by BSOM and research funding. These are two areas Council members felt we needed to learn more about and will continue to research areas of compensation, benefits and equity.
6. Website: Susan Wehmeyer suggested that USAC consider sending the meeting notes to the staff listserv. Denise Anderson mentioned that we might consider posting the meeting notes on the Wings Announcement list. This discussion will continue at the next meeting
7. Increasing Communication: Jacqui Neal suggested organizing a “town hall / brown bag meeting” sometime between the Sept and Oct USAC meetings to allow for discussion among Council members and members of Unclassified Staff. This could provide an opportunity for staff to provide USAC with their suggestions and feedback. Jacqui will look into a possible date for Sept-Oct.
F. Adjournment and Next Meeting
The meeting was adjourned by Jacqui Neal, USAC Chair, at 10:06 a.m. The next meeting is in 104 Biological Sciences on
Thursday, September 9th @ 9:00