October 8, 2009
9:00 - 10:30 am
339 Fawcett Hall
Curt Pederson, Jacqui Neal, Lindy Lauterbach, Craig This, David Bringhurst, John Holm, Nancy Pestian, Mary Healea, Mary Kenton, Melissa Vanzant, Kiel Rottgen, Kary Brigger,
Kevin Knapp, Jerry Hensley, Chris Wydman, Karen Stride-Iiames, Erin Wydman,
and Jennifer McCamis
A. Welcome by Curt Pederson
The meeting was called to order by Curt Pederson, USAC Chair at
B. Approval of Minutes for September 10, 2009.
The minutes were approved as presented. Only comment was to add the adjournment time of 10:00 am.
C. Committee Reports
1. Athletic Council - Mary Kenton, Vivian Mitchell - Not a lot of activity this quarter with Athletic Council except for Gender Equity. The major focus this year for the committee will be budget cuts and balancing. Also, there were discussions on increasing student involvement and participation at games.
2. Diversity Advocacy Council - Erin Brigham -
3. Parking Services - John Holm - No report.
4. President's Award for Excellence - Kevin Knapp, Chris Wydman -
Reception was held on Oct. 5th. Luncheon was included for the award winners and their nominators. CTL included videos of each award winner. Very nice ceremony; attendance was better compared to previous years. Ceremony also recognized those staff members that took the early separation incentive. This committee will now be restructured and held under Staff Council.
5. Semester Conversion Committee - Chris Wydman - Fall semester calendar was formally approved to start August 27th. Fall semester will be August 27th-December 15th; Spring semester will begin January 7th and expected to go to April 26th (although this has not been formally approved). They are still considering the possibility of offering an “intersession”. Time blocks: 8:30 am will be the start of classes; some have requested an earlier time block at 7:25 am. Planning guides have gone up on the registrars and semesters website so that students can see what courses will be offered the next three years (before semesters begin). A semester summit will be offered on Oct. 14th on campus, including individuals from other campuses. Earlier this week, open sessions were offered to discuss general education and writing across the curriculum requirements. All meeting notes will be posted to the website so that employees and students can follow along. A letter will be going out to advisors next week letting them know how to advise students.
6. Sustainability - Karen Strider-Iiames - Meeting was held on Sept. 14th (meets quarterly). Website for this group is under development. There should also be an article in the DiaLogue coming out sometime in November. Major upgrades are expected to result in 22% energy savings in 2 years. New recycle containers are available throughout campus.
7. University Dining Services - Melissa Vanzant - No report.
8. Wellness and Recreation - Craig This, Lindy Lauterbach -
9. WSU Bookstore - Mary Healea - No report.
10. WSU Staff Council - Jacqueline Neal, Mary Healea, Rob Boley, Curt
Pederson, Chris Wydman - Meeting was held Sept. 23rd. Agenda items included (1) Joint Cabinet and Council of Deans meeting, (2), Post-Separation Agreement Status, (3) University Budget Status, (4) Raises, (5) Action Plan for Tragedy or Catastophe, and (6) Potential agenda items for ’09-10. Meeting notes will be posted on the staff council website.
11. WSU Human Resources Committee - Jacqueline Neal, Mary Healea, Rob Boley,
Curt Pederson, Chris Wydman - No report.
D. Other Business
1. Community Service - Rob submitted a list of ideas for the committee to consider, including (1) Adopt a Highway, (2) Beaver Creek Wetlands Assoc., (3) Biology Preserve, and (4) Habitat for Humanity. Group selected to participate in the Biology Preserves service.
2. Job Swap - No new notes or comments.
3. Ideas for This Year - “Helping Hands”: putting together a staff committee to help develop an action plan for a catastrophe or tragedy.
4. Speaking at New Staff Orientations - 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of each month; USAC would only get 5 minutes to present. A brochure has been created and is currently being reviewed. This could substitute for the “presentation”.
5. Adjustment of Meeting Times and/or Dates
- The committee was asked to consider moving the standard meeting dates to either the first or third Thursday of the month so that we could prevent scheduling conflicts. The next meeting is tentatively scheduled for Thursday, November 19th.
6. Grace Period -
Discussed “Grace Period” for those individuals who have lost their jobs.
E. Adjournment and Next Meeting
The meeting was adjourned by Curt Pederson, USAC Chair, at 10:17 a.m. The next meeting is in 339 Fawcett on
Thursday, November 19th @ 9:00 a.m.