September 10, 2009
8:30 - 10:00 am
339 Fawcett Hall
Wendy Feerer, Kiel Rottgen, Lindy Lauterbach, Jacqui Neal, Kary
Brigger, Craig This, David Bringhurst, John Holm, Nancy Pestian,
Jerry Hensley, Mary Healea, Curt Pederson, Mary Kenton, Melissa
Vanzant, Chris Wydman, Erin Brigham, and Rob Boley.
The meeting was called to order by Curt Pederson, USAC Chair at
A. Welcome by Curt Pederson and Introductions
Curt welcomed new members and reviewed USAC's mission: to
represent its members to the university by: promoting their general
welfare; advocating for unclassified staff through active
participation in university governance structure; reviewing,
initiating and making recommendation on relevant university policies
and procedures; encouraging and facilitating communication among
members; and encouraging professional development opportunities.
B. Approval of Minutes for June 11, 2009.
The minutes were approved as presented.
C. Committee Reports
1. Athletic Council - Mary Kenton, Vivian Mitchell - In the
coming year, Athletics will be adjusting to a restricted budget and
developing a new five-year plan. The men's track team will be
2. Diversity Advocacy Council - Erin Brigham - No report.
3. Parking Services - John Holm - The committee has not met yet;
however, the parking spaces in Lot 15 by the Diggs Lab have been
4. President's Award for Excellence - Kevin Knapp, Chris Wydman -
The awards will be presented on Monday, October 5th at 1:00 p.m.
in the Apollo Room. This coming year, the awards committee will have
a new structure, falling under Staff Council.
5. Semester Conversion Committee - Chris Wydman - This committee
has been very active. Under the new system, WSU will have two
14-week semesters; the calendar has not yet been finalized. Mostly
likely, the first semester will start the third or fourth week of
august, ending in December. The second semester will start the
second week of January going through April, with final exams in May.
The academic day will likely start at 8:30 a.m. If anyone has any
input or questions for the committee, please forward them to Chris
6. Sustainability - Karen Strider-Iiames - No report.
7. University Dining Services - Melissa Vanzant - No report.
8. Wellness and Recreation - Craig This, Lindy Lauterbach - No
9. WSU Bookstore - Mary Healea - No report.
10. WSU Staff Council - Jacqueline Neal, Mary Healea, Rob Boley, Curt
Pederson, Chris Wydman - The main topic of discussion at August's special
meeting was the separation incentive program. There were 111
employees who participated in the program. Of that number, 46
participants had extensions approved. Healthcare premiums will be
going up; the amount of increase is unknown. Human Resources will be
making available soon a point-of-service survey accessible via their
website or via cards in their office. Staff Council now has a
representative from Lake Campus. Mary Healea offered to stay on
Staff Council this year to represent Unclassified Hourly Staff on
Staff Council and USAC.
11. WSU Human Resources Committee - Jacqueline Neal, Mary Healea, Rob Boley,
Curt Pederson, Chris Wydman - The next meeting will be in October.
Nancy Pestian suggested a topic of discussion: adding vacation/sick
leave requests as an online service via WINGS Express.
D. Other Business
1. WSU Budget - So long as enrollment remains up 5%, the budget
should remain stabile for this year. Next year will likely be a
greater challenge, since rainy day funds and stimulus funds won't be
2. Early Separation Numbers - see above.
3. Community Service - Curt suggested a community service effort
for unclassified staff, such as maintaining a portion of a local
bike trail. We'll follow up at the next meeting.
4. Job Swap - This would be a program that would allow staff
members to swap jobs for one year. Curt will look into this idea and
report back at the next meeting.
5. Meeting Time Change - The council approved a motion to change
the start time for meetings for the remainder of the year to 9:00
6. Ideas for This Year - To be discussed next meeting.
7. Pictures Courtesy of Marty Gooden - To be rescheduled.
E. Adjournment and Next Meeting
The meeting was adjourned by Curt Pederson, USAC Chair, at 10:00 a.m. The next meeting is in 339 Fawcett on
Thursday, October 8th @ 9:00
a.m. Rob Boley may not be able to attend, so Jacqui Neal has offered
to take minutes in his absence.