May 27, 2010
9:00 - 10:30 am
339 Fawcett Hall
Kiel Rottgen, Curt Pederson, Kary Brigger, Craig This, Karen Strider-Iiames, Mary Healea, Lindy Lauterbach , Jacqueline Neal, Kevin Knapp, David Bringhurst,
Wendy Riddell, Vivian Mitchell, John Holm, Jason Kohlhepp, Rob Boley, Chris Wydman, Jennifer McCamis,
USAC Members Absent: Denise Anderson, Nancy Pestian.
USAC Committee Members Absent: Melissa Vanzant, Megan Watson.
A. Call to Order
The meeting was called to order by Curt Pederson, USAC Chair, at
B. Approval of Minutes for April 15, 2010.
The minutes were approved as
C. USAC Committee Reports
1. Community Service - Rob Boley, Jacqui Neal, Curt Pederson -
Staff Council is considering proposing a new WSU initiative to
provide employees with two days of leave time to volunteer with
non-profits. A Staff Council committee has been formed to pursue
this idea. Plans for a project in the WSU Woods are on hold until
the Master Plan is finalized.
2. Compensation, Benefits, and Equity - Denise
Anderson, David Bringhurst, Mary Healea, Jerry Hensley, Kevin Knapp, Jason Kohlhepp, Kiel Rottgen
- WSU is going to work with an outside vendor to develop a
customized wellness program for employees. The goal is to have a
program that everyone buys into. The CBE Committee is planning to
have speakers meet with the group for open discussion. By next
meeting, the committee's annual report will be presented. USAC
discussed having meetings in July and August to provide better
continuity for those transitioning on and off the council. Jacqui
will pursue this idea.
3. Newsletter - Rob Boley, Kary Brigger, Wendy Riddell - A draft
is ready, and the newsletter should be ready to be distributed
starting next year.
4. Nominations - Denise Anderson, Rob Boley, Kiel Rottgen - The
results of the nomination
process are now online, as is the
D. WSU Committee Reports
1. Athletic Council - Vivian Mitchell - Athletics would like to
see more faculty and staff encouraging attendance at the games.
2. Diversity Advocacy Council - Megan Watson - No report, other
than Gary LeRoy, M.D. being named interim Vice President for Multicultural Affairs and Community Engagement.
3. Parking Services - John Holm - No report.
4. Semester Conversion Committee - Chris Wydman - The faculty
work stoppage has been lifted, so work continues on course approvals
for semesters. The timeline has been adjusted accordingly. Ideally,
all gen-ed classes will be approved by June, but that seems
unlikely. The goal is to have DARS updated by April so that advising
can begin. A new
Semesters Conversion site has been launched.
5. Sustainability - Karen Strider-Iiames - WSU received a
$118,000 rebate from DP&L for energy efficiency improvements.
6. University Dining Services - Melissa Vanzant - No report.
7. Wellness and Recreation - Craig This - Notes attached.
8. WSU Bookstore - Mary Healea - The Bookstore is gearing up for
9. WSU Staff Council - Jacqueline Neal, Mary Healea, Rob Boley, Curt
Pederson, Chris Wydman - The budget was discussed, including 2.5% for staff
and 5% for faculty. CSAC members expressed concern with more
classified positions requiring bachelor's degrees, which would keep
current staff with several years of experience from applying for
these positions. Staff Council may draft a resolution to be
presented to the Cabinet. Staff Council will now take the lead role
in planning Staff Development Day, beginning with the Fall 2010
event. Jacqui proposed forming a new Staff Development Day
subcommittee. Staff Council requested that Rec Fit offer more
40-minute classes to allow staff time to get to and from class on
their lunch hour. Rec Fit responded that staff are welcome to leave
10. WSU SC President's Award for Excellence - Kevin Knapp, Chris Wydman
- All nominations were reviewed and have been submitted by the
committee to the President. All nominees and nominators will be
invited to a special reception on June 14th. By the end of that
week, the winners should be notified. The ceremony will be held on
11. WSU SC Human Resources Committee - Jacqueline Neal, Mary Healea, Rob Boley,
Curt Pederson, Chris Wydman - No report.
12. WSU BOT Committee Reports:
- Advancement - Rob Boley - New development staff is being
added and development is being reorganized in preparation for an
upcoming campaign. A major outreach effort has been launched in
the 16-county Raider Country area to increase visibility.
Affairs - Jacqueline Neal - Jackie McMillan has been named the new VP for
Enrollment Management. We're still waiting to hear word on the
approval of three
new Centers of Excellence. The new Grad Dean has been hired, and
the other dean searches are underway.
- Student Affairs - Jacqueline Neal - The Linus Project was a
very successful service project on behalf of the students and
multiple student groups. UC basketball will be playing against
WSU next year.
- Bldg & Grounds - Curt Pederson - The Master Plan was
discussed (see below).
- Finance & Audit - David Bringhurst - Some budget line items
were discussed, as well as possible changes to
healthcare premium costs. Kiel added we received about $250K back
from the Pharmacy closing which will likely continue for some time.
E. Other Business
|1. Master Plan Update
The consultants came back on May 13th with revised plans,
both of which intrude upon the WSU Woods. The campus
discussion about the Master Plan will be held on Tuesday the
||USAC members are encouraged to share their
opinions with WSU admin.
|2. Staff Picnic/Raffle
||The picnic is scheduled for
Thursday, June 17th. USAC needs to select a charity for the
raffle. A few
members volunteered to sell tickets: Kiel, Kary and Karen.
||We will need people to help
staff our table.
|3. Staff Development Day
This event will be held on Thursday, July 22nd.
||All are encouraged to attend.
|4. USAC/CSAC President Reception
||The President's Reception will
be held at 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday, June 2nd.
||Please RSVP to Suzy Zech.
|5. Officer Positions
||New officers will be selected
at the June meeting.
||Please consider serving as next year's
Secretary or Chair-Elect.
F. Adjournment and Next Meeting
The meeting was adjourned by Curt Pederson, USAC Chair, at 10:28 a.m. The next meeting is in 339 Fawcett on
Thursday, June 10th @ 9:00 a.m.