September 11 , 2008
8:30 - 10:00 am
339 Fawcett Hall
Chris Wydman, Jerry Hensley, Kevin Knapp, Adam Horseman, Lisa Bleeke,
Mary Healea, Patrick Kachurek, Helen Kay Dean, Karin DuChesne, Denise
Anderson, Kiel Rottgen, Curt Pederson, Jason Kohlhepp, Kary Brigger, Jackie
Neal, John Sheidler,
Barb Bullock, and Rob Boley.
The meeting was called to order by Chris Wydman, USAC Chair at 8:32
I. Welcome by Chris Wydman and Introductions by Members
II. Approval of Minutes for June 12, 2008.
The minutes were approved as presented.
III. Committee Reports
1. Athletic Council - Mary Kenton, John Sheidler - No meetings yet this
2. Diversity Advocacy Council - Helen Kay Dean - No meetings yet this
3. Parking Services - Adam Horseman - No meetings yet this academic year.
4. President's Award for Excellence - Kevin Knapp, Chris Wydman - No
meetings yet this academic year.
5. University Dining Services - Lisa Bleeke - No meetings yet this academic
6. University Staff Council - Barb Bullock, Mary Healea, Rob Boley, Curt
Pederson, Chris Wydman - No meetings yet this academic year.
7. Wellness and Recreation - Jason Kohlhepp - No meetings yet this academic
8. WSU Bookstore - Mary Healea - No meetings yet this academic year.
IV. Old Business
1. Open Forum - USAC hosts an open meeting for all staff each
year. Last year's meeting was held in June, featuring Robert Sweeney
presentation about the WSU Strategic Plan, followed by a Q&A
session. The Q&A
has been posted to USAC's online Resources page, which will be
reorganized with sub-headings. The 0708 Report,
summarizing last year's accomplishments, is also online.The
board also discussed adding pictures of board members to the
website. Chris asked everyone to think about topics for next
2. Staff Survey Update - There have been multiple outcomes from
last year's USAC/CSAC survey: the creation of an HR Advisory Committee
and the proposed implementation of supervisor training. The group
discussed how to best communicate these outcomes with staff, possibly
including an article in Dialogue.
3. Staff Development Day - WSU offers two professional
development days every year, in December and July. The next Staff
Development Day is
December 2nd. Planning for that will start soon, and we may need
some volunteers. Last July, 150 people participated in sessions
including manager training, identity theft, and self defense. If
anyone knows of a good speaker, please make a recommendation.
4. USAC Water Bottles - We need to start thinking about
possibilities for selling the bottles. Athletics is willing to
let us set up a table. Chris will look into getting a table for
Fall Fest and encouraged the group to continue thinking about
other venues for sales.
5. Sustainability - The next meeting is in late September. John and
Barb are currently serving on the task force.
V. New Business
1. Staff Pioneers Project - Last spring, WSU created a plaque of
Academic Pioneers to recognize the founding faculty. USAC was
charged with doing something similar for staff pioneers. A committee has
been established including members of the Retirees Association and CSAC
and using resources from the University Archives. The event will be held in mid-April.
2. HR Advisory Committee - The new HR Advisory Committee, which
includes members of USAC and CSAC, was formed over the summer and
will continue to work with Human Resources.
3. President's Awards - The award ceremony will be held on
September 22nd, and our own Curt Pederson will be one of the
4. Sick/Vacation Leave - The group discussed some concerns with
the proposed changes to the Sick Leave and Vacation policies. Chris
will summarize our concerns and report them to HR next week. Any
comments for Chris should be forwarded to him via email by mid-next week.
5. Newsletter - To be discussed at next meeting.
6. Committee Websites, Minutes and Meeting Reports -To be
discussed at next meeting.
VI. Adjournment and Next Meeting
The meeting was adjourned by Chris Wydman, USAC Chair at
10:07 a.m. The next meeting is in 339 Fawcett on Thursday, October
9, 2008 @ 8:30.