June 11, 2009
8:30 - 10:00 am
339 Fawcett Hall
Jason Kohlhepp, Chris Wydman, Curt Pederson, Jerry Hensley, Helen
Kay Dean, Patrick Kachurek, Mary Healea, Wendy Feerer, David
Bringhurst, Jennifer McCamis, Nancy Pestian, Denise Anderson, Adam Horseman,
Jacqueline Neal, Kiel Rottgen, Kevin Knapp, Barbara Bullock, Kary
Brigger, Jacqueline Robinson, and Rob Boley.
The meeting was called to order by Chris Wydman, USAC Chair at
A. Welcome by Chris Wydman and Introduction of New Council
B. Approval of Minutes for May 14, 2009.
The minutes were approved as presented.
C. Committee Reports
1. Athletic Council - Mary Kenton, John Sheidler - We have some
issues with Title 9 compliance for proportional gender equity and
financial aid, due to the creation of the new men's track team.
2. Diversity Advocacy Council - Helen Kay Dean -
Notes attached. The UDAC
Website is now online.
3. Parking Services - Adam Horseman - No report.
4. President's Award for Excellence - Kevin Knapp, Chris Wydman -
We had more than 30 nominees, with multiple nominees in every
category. The winners will be announced over the summer and
recognized in the fall. This year, nominees will also be
acknowledged, not just the winners.
5. Sustainability - Jason Kohlhepp - No report.
6. University Dining Services - Lisa Bleeke -
7. Wellness and Recreation - Jason Kohlhepp - No report.
8. WSU Bookstore - No report.
9. WSU Staff Council - Barb Bullock, Mary Healea, Rob Boley, Curt
Pederson, Chris Wydman - The President's Award for Excellence committee will
now fall under Staff Council; however its functioning will
essentially remain the same. Also discussed was unclassified hourly
staff representation on USAC and Staff Council. Mary Healea and Bill
Rickert will discuss this issue further, to ensure that unclassified
hourly are appropriately represented. Also discussed was how
important campus announcements are distributed via email. There will
be two open forums at the end of the month to discuss the high
deductible healthcare plan.
10. WSU Human Resources Committee - Barb Bullock, Mary Healea, Rob Boley, Curt
Pederson, John Sheidler, Chris Wydman - A sub-committee has been recruited
to define the role and function of this committee.
D. Other Business
1. Staff Picnic/Raffle
- Denise still has many tickets available; all USAC members are
encouraged to help sell these tickets to staff. We need more
volunteers to staff the table, selling tickets and bottles.
2. Staff Development Day - This event will be on Thursday, July
16th, and all USAC members are encouraged to volunteer to staff the
3. Election Results -
This year, 271 staff members voted in the election.
4. Recognition of Departing Council and Committee Members - Chris
provided plaques to the departing council members, and gifts for the
departing committee members.
5. Final comments from Chris Wydman - Chris thanked everyone for
all their hard work during what has been a busy, active year.
6. First comments from Curt Pederson - Curt thanked Chris and the
departing council and committee members. He also welcomed the new
council members. Curt intends to increase communications over the
next year. He'd like to see USAC members' pictures on the website,
to increase visibility and recognition.
7. Election of USAC Officers for 2009-2010 - Rob Boley was
elected as secretary. Jackie Neal was elected as chair-elect.
8. Selection of 2009-2010 meeting schedule - The
draft 2009-2010 meeting schedule
was approved as presented. Curt will secure 339 Fawcett for the
E. Adjournment and Next Meeting
The meeting was adjourned by Curt Pederson, new USAC Chair, at 9:32 a.m. The next meeting is in 339 Fawcett on
Thursday, September 10 @ 8:30