May 14, 2009
8:30 - 10:00 am
339 Fawcett Hall
Jason Kohlhepp, Jerry Hensley, Barbara Bullock (arrived third),
Patrick Kachurek, John Sheidler, Kary Brigger, Chris Wydman, Helen
Kay Dean, Kevin Knapp, Curt Pederson, Adam Horseman, Denise
Anderson, and Rob Boley.
The meeting was called to order by Chris Wydman, USAC Chair at
A. Welcome by Chris Wydman
B. Approval of Minutes for April 9, 2009.
The minutes were approved as presented.
C. Committee Reports
1. Athletic Council - Mary Kenton, John Sheidler - President
Hopkins and the Commissioner of the Horizon League attended the last
council meeting, to provide an update on the league. Although
budgets are increasingly more challenging, Bob Grant is adamant
about not cutting any sports.
2. Diversity Advocacy Council - Helen Kay Dean -
3. Parking Services - Adam Horseman - A new evening commuter pass
will soon be available, to help alleviate the overcrowding in the
parking lots. For next year, there's a tentative $10 increase coming
for all passes. There have been some issues with the
carpool/low-emission spots at the Diggs Building, which are required
for the LEAD certification. As well, Parking Services is looking at
adding more fuel-efficient, green parking spots around campus.
4. President's Award for Excellence - Kevin Knapp, Chris Wydman -
About 40 nominations have been made this year for the awards, at
least a couple for each category. The extended deadline is later
5. Sustainability - Jason Kohlhepp -
6. University Dining Services - Lisa Bleeke -
7. Wellness and Recreation - Jason Kohlhepp - The Poker Walk is
scheduled for May 20th, and the Retiree Picnic is scheduled for June
18th. Work has begun on a University Challenge Impact Survey.
Additional notes attached.
8. WSU Bookstore - No report.
9. WSU Staff Council - Barb Bullock, Mary Healea, Rob Boley, Curt
Pederson, Chris Wydman - No report.
10. WSU Human Resources Committee - Barb Bullock, Mary Healea, Rob Boley, Curt
Pederson, John Sheidler, Chris Wydman - This week's meeting was the first
one held with HR staff representation, other than Allan Boggs. The
new representatives from HR are Jamie Henne, Meltem Kokaly, Tony
Linz, and Sharon Shaw. The HR website now has a FAQ page on the
website. As well, a new point-of-service survey will be online soon.
HR will likely be moving to the Medical Sciences Building in
October. A subcommittee will soon be formed to define more clearly
the role, membership, and structure of this committee.
D. Other Business
1. Separation Incentives - The University has hired a consulting
firm to design, implement, and manage the separation incentive
program, which is available for employees who have been here for 15
years. The information packets will be mailed to eligible employees'
home addresses. The details of the plan are still being finalized.
2. Semesters Conversion - The first meeting for the transition
was held last week. The first priority is the curriculum conversion.
Chris Wydman will be USAC's representative for the Semesters
Conversion Committee for the duration of the project (approximately
3. USAC Elections
- We received 31 unique nominations, and one was ineligible. So far,
9 have accepted, 4 have declined, and 17 have not responded.
Nominees have until Thursday, May 21st to respond. The election will
run from Tuesday, May 26 to Thursday, June 4th. The new USAC members
will be invited to the June 11th meeting.
4. Staff Picnic - This event will be held on Thursday, June 18th
(with a rain date of Friday, June 19th). Denise Anderson is
coordinating the 50/50 Raffle (notes
attached). Proceeds will benefit the Ronald McDonald House. The
USAC water bottles will be sold at the event, as well.
5. Staff Development Day - The event will be on Thursday, July
16th. The sessions will be on a variety of topics, including
semesters conversions, ethics, career path at WSU, diversity,
multiple intelligences, and financial planning.
6. USAC/CSAC President Reception - This event will be held on
Thursday, May 28th at Rockafield House, from 4:00 to 5:30. All USAC
council and committee members are encouraged to attend.
E. Additional Items
1. Staff Pioneers Project - This event was held on Tuesday, April
21st, with about 100 attending.
F. Adjournment and Next Meeting
The meeting was adjourned by Chris Wydman, USAC Chair, at 9:52 a.m. The next meeting is in 339 Fawcett on Thursday,
June 11, 2009 @ 8:30