May 11, 1998
Present: Willie Boyd, Lee A. Duteil, Alexia Etsios, Kitty Friedman,
Marty Jenkins, Terri Limbert, Merita Moffitt, Gerry Petrak, Alice
Renner, Tricia Renner, Judy Rose, Mike Schulze, Amy Sues, Pat Walker,
Pamela Wallace-Johnson, Chris Watson, Kevin Watson, Kelli Zaytoun Byrne,
End of the Year Reception for USAC
The USAC end of the year reception will be held Monday, June 8th at 3:00
p.m. in the Student Union Formal Lounge. Remarks will be given by
President Goldenberg, appreciation will be extended to the outgoing
council members, and we will welcome the incoming council members.
Refreshments will be provided. This will be a good event and a good
chance to meet the future, current, past council members as well as
visit with other unclassified staff.
The results of the election for representatives to the USAC council have
been tallied. The following is the list of the new representatives as
of July 1, 1998:
Thank you to all who voted and ran for council!
- Karen Wilhoit - 3 year term - Academic Support
- Ellen Demerath - 3 year term - Academic & Externally Funded
- Sharon Powell - 3 year term - Institutional Support & Plant
- Verne Smith - 2 year term - Institutional Support & Plant
- Jack Butler - 3 year term - Student Services & Auxiliaries
- L. Tony Ortiz - 1 year term - Student Services & Auxiliaries
Campus Master Plan Presentation
Mike Schulze from the University Engineering Office presented the stages
of the Master Plan for campus and was available to address related
questions and concerns. In a multi-media presentation, each phase of
the project was addressed through phase 6 which showed the scheduled
changes to the campus layout through the year 2001.
Meeting with the New President
Judy Rose, Kitty Friedman, and Marty Jenkins met with President
Goldenberg on May 5th to discuss the role of USAC in the campus
community. Issues such as the faculty unionization and staffing of
positions formerly filled by early retirement staff were addressed.
Naming of New Administration Building
The council was approached with the idea of naming the new
administration building after Harley Flack. After discussion, the
council decided to support existing University policy addressing the
naming of a new building.
University Committee Reports
- Athletic Council - The Athletic Council has set up the steering
committee which will meet in the summer. New members were added to the
council. This year has also seen the creation and functioning of the
- Campus Climate - The focus for Campus Climate is currently the
integration of the various related subcommittees dedicated to campus
climate efforts. By fall more information on how to coordinate campus
climate issues between these groups will be available.
- Servant Leadership - The new Assistant Director of Student Leadership
Initiatives has been chosen and will begin working on campus by June
- Calendar and Elections - The Calendar Committee has approved a calendar
for the next two years that is very similar to the past calendars.
- University Marks - The Marks Committee is awaiting the changes and
enhancements to the last round of possible marks for the University.
- Building and Grounds - Other locations near to existing kitchens are
being considered for the movement of the Faculty Lounge. Other items
addressed by this committee has been media equipment problems in
classrooms as well as overall classroom conditions and the opposition to
the Wall, which at this time, is not part of the renovation plans.