Lake Campus Dean Position
The Wright State University Lake Campus seeks an exceptional leader who is a dynamic and energetic individual and has the ability to effectively engage faculty, staff, students and external constituencies in a collaborative and collegial manner. Essential qualities include an innovative and entrepreneurial spirit, a record of execution and outcomes, a demonstrated commitment to student access and success. Working in partnership with the senior staff, the successful candidate will be expected to embrace and contribute to the mission and priorities of the Campus. This is an outstanding opportunity for a creative leader at a very exciting time as the Campus continues its growth and has initiatives in place for new facilities and programs.
Wright State University seeks an innovative, entrepreneurial, and professionally engaged individual to lead the Lake Campus during this exciting and critical timeframe of growth and development. The leadership is aligned to strategically advance Wright State to the next level of regional engagement, economic development, and educational access as it advances its mission to change lives of its students and communities served. The Lake Campus is an integral partner in Wright State’s trajectory, providing key access to education and resources for the region and its important agribusiness, commerce, and industry focus. The Lake Campus is also a thought-leader in the region, stimulating discussion on community, national, and international issues, and expanding access to ideas and solutions that extend beyond the region, preparing graduates for membership in the global society. The Lake Campus lake.wright.edu is Wright State University’s only regional campus and is situated on 173 scenic acres on the north shore of Grand Lake St. Marys between Celina and St. Marys in Mercer County. The Lake Campus is a valued community resource located approximately 75 miles north of Dayton, Ohio and the Dayton Campus of Wright State University.
The Dean is a member of the strategically formed dynamic Vice Presidents and College Deans collaborating to raise Wright State’s prominence and reputation as the leader in high quality, affordable and accessible education within the state, with significant increased visibility across the nation and internationally. The Dean reports to the Provost of Wright State University and is the chief academic and administrative officer of the Lake Campus, responsible for the administration of academic programs; student success; strategic and fiscal planning; supervision and evaluation of faculty and staff; promoting diversity awareness; and planning and promoting new academic programs, community services, and campus facilities. The Dean has a key leadership role in the economic and cultural needs of the region; ensures the appropriate balance of staffing through talent acquisition, retention, and performance management; leads fundraising and grant acquisition; and engages with community to align program offerings with demand fields. The Dean must be a strategic thinker, adept at building partnerships within a diverse community, knowledgeable in higher education issues, collaborative in developing team-focused, data-driven approaches to problem solving, and possessed of strong people skills. The Dean must be adept at actively representing the interests of the Lake Campus within the best interests of the total university and within Western Ohio.
As Chief Academic Officer, the Dean is responsible for articulation of the Lake Campus’s vision of academic distinction, the development of and administration of academic programs, policies relating to instruction, curriculum, extended learning, and information technology, faculty and academic staff appointments, performance assessments, scholarship, community service, and outreach in the community.
The Campus seeks an exceptional leader who is a dynamic and energetic individual and has the ability to effectively engage faculty, staff, students and external constituencies in a collaborative and collegial manner. Essential qualities include an innovative and entrepreneurial spirit, a record of execution and outcomes, a demonstrated commitment to student access and success. Working in partnership with the senior staff, the successful candidate will be expected to embrace and contribute to the mission and priorities of the Campus. This is an outstanding opportunity for a creative leader at a very exciting time as the Campus continues its growth and has initiatives in place for new facilities and programs.
- Fosters and develops an inclusive and evolving curricular and pedagogical environment, setting the tone and guidance of academic programs;
- Supports an environment for active and integrative learning that helps students achieve academic success and become career professionals, responsible citizens and life-long learners, building on the University’s nationally recognized record of student community engagement;
- Guides the development and assessment outcomes for academic programs, faculty development, scholarship and teaching, in conjunction with directors and faculty across the campus, in alignment with the WSU mission and values. Is committed to supporting and enhancing research grant and contract activity;
- Provides leadership to ensure the integrity, accountability, and continuous improvement of all programs, resources, and services of Wright State Lake Campus;
- Represents the Campus to alumni, other academic institutions, accrediting bodies, and the community at large;
- Provides leadership in the design and implementation of new academic programs and policies;
- Provides experience with and leadership in the area of student development, excellence in teaching, active scholarship, and creative activities;
- Consults with and advocates on behalf of the Lake Campus with the Provost and senior leadership on budget, enrollment, faculty, and administrative issues in carrying out the mission of the Campus;
- Facilitates interdisciplinary partnerships among academic programs and other divisions of the university, the faculty, students, and administrators;
- Oversees the administration of faculty development, retention, promotion, and tenure process for faculty;
- Provides leadership in the ongoing strategic planning process for the Campus including establishing base budgets for operations, capital budgets for current and future years; and, anticipating budget requirements, including human resource needs in a changing environment;
- Articulates a vision for research, teaching, and learning with demonstrated success in planning, initiating, managing and evaluating institutional change. Understands and embraces the dimensions and dynamics of inclusive excellence. Models leadership and collaboration to the campus community;
- Demonstrates ability to facilitate partnerships among academic programs, other divisions of the university, faculty, students, and community constituents.
- Earned doctorate from an accredited institution and a record of professional accomplishments and scholarship that meet the qualifications for appointment to the rank of professor in a Wright State college/school;
- A strong and sustained record of teaching excellence and interdisciplinary initiatives;
- A strong and sustained record of research and creative accomplishments;
- Substantial administrative personnel and budgetary experience as Chairperson or equivalent;
- Evidence of a commitment to and success securing external funding;
- Evidence of a strong commitment to helping students obtain a broad-based education;
- Evidence in curriculum development including a commitment to collaboration and innovative pedagogies;
- Evidence of experience and success in program development and student enrollment
- Evidence of strong interpersonal and communication skills with faculty, staff, students, alumni and community members;
- Demonstrated ability to manage a complex academic organization and work effectively with colleagues across divisions;
- Evidence of effective community involvement, outreach, leadership, and demonstrated ability to forge partnerships and build productive relationships with both campus and business community constituencies;
- Evidence of recruitment and retention of a diverse faculty and staff, as well as teambuilding, supervision, and staff support for professional development;
- Demonstrated commitment to student centeredness and optimization of student learning.
Wright State University Lake Campus is being assisted by Harris Search Associates for this search. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applications should include a current curriculum vita and letter explaining interest and relevant experience. A detailed profile may be found at www.harrisandassociates.com.
Nomination and applications should be submitted electronically in confidence to Jeffrey Harris, Managing Partner.
Kristin Sobolik, Chair, Dean of the College of Liberal Arts
Cindy Berelsman, Lecturer of Business Technologies
Joe Cavanaugh, Professor of Economics
Chuck Ciampaglio, Professor of Geology/Paleontology
Giovanna Follo, Assistant Professor of Sociology
Marty Kich, Professor of English
Julie Miller, Director of the Business Enterprise Center
Bill Montgomery, Wright State Board of Trustee Representative
Candace Phlipot, Coordinator of Events/Student Activities
Gretchen Rentz, Assistant Director of Student Services
Courtney Simons, Lecturer of Food Science
Neil Stemley, WOEF Board Representative
Wright State University (WSU) www.wright.edu is a comprehensive public university with strong doctoral, research, and undergraduate programs, rated among the Best National Universities listed in the annual “America’s Best Colleges” rankings by U.S. News and World Report and rated “Best in the Midwest” by the Princeton Review. Named after the world-famous Wright brothers, the University continues to exemplify their spirit of innovation. Collaboration, value, and access underscore the Wright State organizational culture, motivating faculty and staff to work together to provide a welcoming, inclusive environment for all students, faculty, and staff, and an exceptional, educational experience for students.
About Lake Campus
The Lake Campus lake.wright.edu is Wright State University’s only regional campus and is situated on 173 scenic acres on the north shore of Grand Lake St. Marys between Celina and St. Marys in Mercer County. The Lake Campus is a valued community resource located approximately 75 miles north of Dayton, Ohio and the Dayton Campus of Wright State University. Mercer County has the lowest unemployment rate (3%) in Ohio and one of the lowest in the United States, founded on the unique regional economies of agribusiness, commerce, and industry. Mercer County is the top Agriculture County in Ohio, Mercer and Darke Counties are the top egg producing counties in the United States, and the region provides a number of economic development incentives for starting and growing businesses.
The Lake Campus serves a student population of 1,350 undergraduate and graduate students. Academic programs include a variety of pre-baccalaureate, baccalaureate, associate and selected master’s and technical degrees. Traditionally strong programs include Agriculture, Education, Graphic Design and Visual Media, Law Enforcement, and Applied Business Technology, with new programs in Business, Food Science, Engineering, and Technical and Applied Science. Academic programming is focused on educating engaged global citizens while being receptive to needs of the unique regionally productive economy.
The Lake Campus has 75 faculty and staff strongly devoted to student success. The faculty are engaged scholars focused on getting to know each student and helping them attain their own personalized goals. This smaller campus community provides excellent student services including the Student Success Center, Career Services, and Center for Independent Achievement. Students have the opportunity to participate in twelve student organizations and three different athletic teams – The Lakers are a member of the Ohio Regional Campus Conference (ORCC).
The Lake Campus is a central, thriving part of the community, providing educational access, support, and attainment for the region with the help of strong, engaged community partners. These close connections have led to excellent student internship, service, and outreach opportunities, as well as community support for Lake Campus initiatives, scholarships, and facilities. For example, faculty and staff are engaged with the Lake Restoration Commission, the Lake Campus Business Enterprise Center provides management training and support for regional small businesses, and the WOEF (Western Ohio Educational Foundation) Board has long supported students, educational attainment, new programming, and facilities expansion.
The Lake Campus continues to experience tremendous growth in terms of academic programming, expansion of the geographic student base, increase in community connections, and enrollment. This growth has led to the recent construction of on-campus, furnished, townhouse style apartments to accommodate 64 students on the shores of Grand Lake St Marys, offering a spectacular view of the lake and short walk to classes. The facilities have been consistently maintained and updated to include renovated laboratories and dining facilities, state-of-the-art technology in all classrooms, the addition of James F. Dicke Hall that accommodates up to 300, and the formation of the newly remodeled Enrollment Services area. Plans are underway to expand the facilities further through the construction of a “Connector” between Dwyer Hall and Trenary Hall for increased classroom, laboratory, and conference facilities.
Hallmarks of the Lake Campus include
- Built and sustained by Community Spirit
- Small campus growing in enrollment, programs, and regional scope
- Excellent faculty and staff committed to student success
- Personalized student interactions
- Small class sizes
- Strong emerging online and flexible program delivery options
- Nationally recognized faculty scholars
- New and expanding programs in Business,
- Engineering, Food Science, and Technical and
- Applied Science
- Strong, engaged community connections
Wright State cares about the enviroment and the health of our campus and planet. Learn how you can join the charge to make our community a better place to work, study, and play.